Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pendrive as a "Cartridge"
Is there a way to automatically load roms from a pendrive?

Example: Plug a pendrive full of roms, turn on the orange pi and then the roms will be available to play.
Edit fstab by typing sudo pluma /etc/fstab

add an entry like this replacing mystuff with your pen drive name:

/dev/sda1 /media/pi/mystuff ntfs-3g nofail,auto,user,uid=1000,gid=1000,exec,permissions,noatime,nodiratime,commit=600 0 0

copy roms to your pen drive into the appropriate folders.

Create symbolic links to the pen drive rom folders into /home/pi/RetroPie/roms

ex: sudo ln -s /media/pi/MyHD/roms/nes /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/nes
you'll have to delete, move, or rename the original folder if it exists for this step to work.

Do this for as many drives and systems as you want.
(12-13-2016, 03:41 AM)LucasAugusto Wrote: Is there a way to automatically load roms from a pendrive?

Example: Plug a pendrive full of roms, turn on the orange pi and then the roms will be available to play.

Yes, it's possible, along with Sikotik howto, we'll discuss a way to feature this in 3.0 nicely.
Hi,

I try this with a exfat format memory but no success...

1. At first i install the exfat-fuse to mount the memory stick
2. I created the symbolic links and copied all the original content from the mame-libretto folder to roms folders at the memory stick
3. And edit the fstab with the line above:
/dev/sda1 /media/pi/MyHD exfat nofail,auto,noatime,rw,user 0 0

before all of that, when i restart my OPi PC Plus it is locked at the EmStation splashscreen.

Any advance in exfat or this just work in NTFS format?

Thanks in advance!
Regards
Edu82
(12-19-2016, 06:14 PM)edu82 Wrote: Hi,

I try this with a exfat format memory but no success...

1. At first i install the exfat-fuse to mount the memory stick
2. I created the symbolic links and copied all the original content from the mame-libretto folder to roms folders at the memory stick
3. And edit the fstab with the line above:
/dev/sda1 /media/pi/MyHD exfat nofail,auto,noatime,rw,user 0 0

before all of that, when i restart my OPi PC Plus it is locked at the EmStation splashscreen.

Any advance in exfat or this just work in NTFS format?

Thanks in advance!
Regards
Edu82

We should have a solution for this in upcoming 3.0. We will post an alternative approach (not having to mess with /etc/fstab)
First of all, thank you for the fast reply!

A question, the future solution it will be possible run roms over the network? Because i have the OPi PC Plus with EMMC (install on it works flawlessly, thx) and the complete roms lib on a network storage.

Regards
Edu82
(12-21-2016, 04:51 PM)edu82 Wrote: First of all, thank you for the fast reply!

A question, the future solution it will be possible run roms over the network? Because i have the OPi PC Plus with EMMC (install on it works flawlessly, thx) and the complete roms lib on a network storage.

Regards
Edu82

It probably works already.
You can use sshfs to mount a network folder locally , for example:

Code:
sudo sshfs -o allow_other,defer_permissions root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/ /media/network_roms

above command will login to your network share, mount "/" (root folder) in local /media/network_roms
Hi, at first congrats to the crew by the new version!!!

How does work a pendrive in the new system?

Thanks in an advance!

Regards
Edu
just "sudo apt-get install usbmount"
after a reboot, pendrive should be mounted at /media/usb0
we created symlinks from the original roms folders to /media/usb0/roms/nes , for example, so you just have to create a roms folder in your pendrive, with the platforms inside, nes, n64, psx, mastersystem etc
(12-27-2016, 06:03 PM)alexkidd Wrote: just "sudo apt-get install usbmount"
after a reboot, pendrive should be mounted at /media/usb0
we created symlinks from the original roms folders to /media/usb0/roms/nes , for example, so you just have to create a roms folder in your pendrive, with the platforms inside, nes, n64, psx, mastersystem etc

Ok, how about the mame-libreto files/folders inside? move then to the USB?

Thanks!