Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS - FAQ (updated Dec 26th)
Q: What is RetrOrange Pi and what can i run with it?
A: RetrOrangePi is a gaming and media center distribution based on Armbian (Linux Debian 8), compatible with most Orange Pi boards , equipped with CPU H3 and GPU Mali 400. You'll be able to play your favorite games from the 70's, 80's and 90s, have a full desktop experience with thousands of apps from Debian repositories like Firefox, LibreOffice, GIMP, Transmission, and also OpenELEC/Kodi media center (former XBMC), where you can watch HD movies (4K possible!) and install addons like Youtube, Vevo, IPTV etc.

Q: Which games run well on RetrOrange Pi? 
A: As long as the dump is good ALL games should run fine on ANY board up to the Sony Playstation. Things get hit and miss on Dreamcast, MAME, N64 and PSP. Games like Super Mario 64, Mario Kart, Zelda OOT (N64), Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins, LittleBigPlanet, GTA Vice City (PSP), Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure and Shenmue (Dreamcast) are some examples of games that run fine with a few minor issues. Conker (N64) and God of War (PSP) are not playable. Take a look at our video section

Q: How can i install this application?
A: RetrOrange Pi is not a single application. It's a full system that has to be copied to an SD card and inserted in a compatible board. Take a look at the download/install instructions.

Q: Every time that I create the image in the SD card, it says it is not possible to mount it or it is corrupted. I cannot copy my roms.
A: Filesystem is EXT4(linux-only) , so you won’t be able to open/access it from inside Windows, unless you install a 3rd party application like Paragon or Ext2SD. Connect a flash drive to your board and use Desktop option in the main launcher to be able to copy roms with ease.

Q: My board does not boot or all I got is a black screen:
A: Things to try: reformat SD card with Panasonic SD formatter => reflash image with DD(linux) or Win32diskimager (windows) => change power supply (most likely!!!!!)

Q: Is it possible to exclude Desktop or Kodi sections from EmulationStation main menu ?
A: Yes, just move desktop and kodi folders from /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/ somewhere else. If you want to recover, just move them back .

Q: What do I do to change resolution or my screen connection?

A: Run from command line : ‘sudo h3disp’ to check available modes and run it again with correct parameters

Q: I already copied my roms/games, but they don’t appear in the list
A: EmulationStation will search for specific extension for each platform. Check file /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg . Press Ctrl H in file manager to view hidden folders. There are specific tweaks though; N64 roms with .zip extension can be set with the following command in a Desktop terminal window:

Code:
sudo pluma /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

add .zip .ZIP to the extension section of n64 platform.

Q: How to change boot splashscreen?
A: Replace /home/pi/RetroPie/splashscreens/splash.png

Q: In Kodi (not OpenELEC), I can’t see movie progress/subtitles or quit the video.
A: Kodi application uses MPV as external player for hardware acceleration. Because of that, OSD is not available and only keyboard shortcuts work. For example, to quit video, press Q, to fast forward, press right or up. Refer to MPV manual : https://mpv.io/manual/stable/ for more information.

Q:  Some games just don't run. They return to main screen.
If your emulator does not run any of your ROMS, check if the system requires a BIOS and that it is in the /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS folder.  If it's a MAME/NeoGeo rom, take a look at this thread.

You can also check the output of the error, by running from terminal :

Code:
cat /dev/shm/runcommand.log

Q: How to install new EmulationStation themes?
A: Go to Retropie - Retropie-Setup - Configuration - ES Themes. Keep in mind not all of the themes available for download are complete i/e the system you’re trying to emulate doesn’t have a section yet. https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Set...tion-Theme has a tutorial on creating and editing themes.

From Retropie wiki:

"There is a fundamental bug with EmulationStation where unique background images are not loaded dynamically so if you have more than ~10 systems (on most themes that have a unique wallpaper per system) you will start to get a white screen of death and nothing will show up.

There are a few things you can do to fix the white screen of death:
  • remove some systems
  • switch your theme to any Carbon, Pixel, Eudora, Turtle-Pi, or Canela variant (as they have one static background and therefore don't crash when you have many systems)

If you can't access the theme changer in emulationstation because it's a white screen, you can ssh into the pi and change the theme name back to carbon in the backend in /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_settings.cfg"