Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NTSC in **** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
Video 
Hi there!

While I find the experience quite good and enjoyable, the games with nonfixed and moving background will have some frame glitches when using the NTSC model setting. In the other hand, the PAL default setting will be stable but the colors wont be as vivid and attractive.

Is there any specific settings/tweak we should use with NTSC to improved stability?
[Image: commodore_2.png]
(01-23-2017, 10:17 PM)canadien Wrote: Hi there!

While I find the experience quite good and enjoyable, the games with nonfixed and moving background will have some frame glitches when using the NTSC model setting. In the other hand, the PAL default setting will be stable but the colors wont be as vivid and attractive.

Is there any specific settings/tweak we should use with NTSC to improved stability?

Can you provide an example that illustrates the problem?  I'm not aware of any NTSC issues, however perhaps I just haven't noticed.  I am willing to take a look, but only if I can see what the issue is.
Hi emullinsabq.

Thanks for your reply and sorry for being late, I thought we would be automatically subscribed to the thread when being the OP.
I'll made the video and send it yo you.

BTW are you one of the three?
Check your inbox.
(01-30-2017, 11:42 PM)canadien Wrote: Check your inbox.

I watched your video and responded via PM.

For everyone else, the title in question was commando.  This ROM was intended for PAL systems, and I get the exact same behavior on my desktop PC with VICE 3.0.

I recommend testing titles on the latest VICE on a desktop system.  If you get this behavior, then it is very likely that the ROM is for PAL systems.

What to do about it, I'm not an expert in the ROPI interface.  Probably there is a way to save multiple settings files, then hand edit entries so they use the correct setting.  Easier said than done, I realize, since I haven't yet gone down this path.  But hopefully it is possible.

There are SOME roms that released different versions for NTSC vs PAL. It might be worth looking for whichever you need in case there are both varieties.
you can create an additional entry in /opt/retropie/configs/c64/emulators.cfg like this:

c64-pal = "/opt/retropie/emulators/vice/x64 put_here_your_pal_parameters %ROM%"

then you can edit the preferences on the runcommand launch dialog, per-system or per-game
OK thanks. In the meantime I did recall I had some glitches in the time I had my real c64, meaning I had PAL rom too.

PAL setup is fine on ROPI but for the colors. There are much better in NTSC. I saw that there is a "new luminance" setting in the machine menu. Would it be possible to apply the NTSC luminescence to the PAL model?

If not then I'll use alexkidd trick.
(01-31-2017, 07:02 PM)alexkidd Wrote: then you can edit the preferences on the runcommand launch dialog, per-system or per-game

How exactly do you do this?

Also, lots of games come in .D64 files which are images of real 170k disks.  If the .d64 image has multiple games on it, how can I create multiple entries?  eg.

Code:
134  "SPINDIZZY"     PRG
158  "SUPER CARS"    PRG
153  "YOGI BEAR"     PRG
112  "ARCHON"        PRG

This single .d64 has 4 games which I'd like separate items for.  And since it's called ARCAD150.D64, the name is not particularly useful anyway.
in this scenario, from what i've googled, there are a few options:
1. edit the gamelist.xml and add custom entries (you would need to know the names, hard to implement with many disks)
2. run game from ES, it will run the first program in the disk, soft reset, then load PRG file manually
3. extract PRG from D64 with D64Editor (looks like the best choice)
(02-12-2017, 12:33 AM)alexkidd Wrote: in this scenario, from what i've googled, there are a few options:
1. edit the gamelist.xml and add custom entries (you would need to know the names, hard to implement with many disks)
2. run game from ES, it will run the first program in the disk, soft reset, then load PRG file manually
3. extract PRG from D64 with D64Editor (looks like the best choice)

Hm.  Some games require auxiliary files, so the 3rd option wouldn't work for them.

You could create a new .d64 per game.  I don't know how ES sets up its menu, but perhaps it could scan all the .d64 files when scanning the directory?  This isn't maybe a great idea since often there are lots of files that you probably don't want menu items for.  However, the c1541 utility that ships with vice can spit out the various programs on disk.  eg.
Code:
eric@hiarcs:~/Desktop/c64$ c1541 SAM.D64 -dir
0 "                " 00 2a
69    "sam/reciter"       prg
27    "sam's demo"        prg
7     "say it"            prg
561 blocks free.