Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Overclock.
I was doing some tests changing the cpu governor...
I noticed that setting to performance i on my orange pi one very often temperature arrive to 75C and then clock is lowered.
Making some tests with Orange PI PC i noticed that using just a coin on the cpu as heatsink temperature was much lower and the maximum speed was 1296mhz! 96mhz more than orange pi one...
Then i read that orange pi one is 1200mhz clock and orange pi pc is 1600....
so i put a fan over the Orange pi PC and temperature was lowered to 42c playing to PPSSPP...
So i decided to try to overclock it...
And if on RPI was quite easy.
I found more complicated and the infromation are in contrast. (some sites say that maximum speed is 1.5ghz and not 1.6 other say that clock is correct to 1296 because 300mhz go to Mali gpu...
Somebody has more info? And know how to change the clock. maybe just 100mhz are a good speedup for PPSSPP that in some games is very close to prefect play.
Regards.
Enrico.
Orange Pis were originally sold overclocked/overvolted at 1.6ghz (actually 1536mhz), but then after Loboris kernels overheating, Armbian took place, developing their distro, running extensive tests, achieving sane "CPU frequency settings at 240-1200 MHz on BPi M2+, NanoPi M1 and Beelink X2, 480-1200 MHz on OPi One/Lite and 480-1296 MHz on the other boards (cpufreq governor is interactive therefore the boards only increase CPU speed and consumption when needed)"

in Loboris kernel, script.fex was already set to max 1536, so you would only have to edit it. With Armbian you will probably need to patch the kernel. Check this:
https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/top...ment=11843
(05-08-2017, 10:57 AM)alexkidd Wrote: Orange Pis were originally sold overclocked/overvolted at 1.6ghz (actually 1536mhz), but then after Loboris kernels overheating, Armbian took place, developing their distro, running extensive tests, achieving sane "CPU frequency settings at 240-1200 MHz on BPi M2+, NanoPi M1 and Beelink X2, 480-1200 MHz on OPi One/Lite and 480-1296 MHz on the other boards (cpufreq governor is interactive therefore the boards only increase CPU speed and consumption when needed)"

in Loboris kernel, script.fex was already set to max 1536, so you would only have to edit it. With Armbian you will probably need to patch the kernel. Check this:
https://forum.armbian.com/index.php?/top...ment=11843

This works for orangepipc but i think that should works also for others changing occurrencies of orangepipc.bin with the bin of your board.

cd
bin2fex /boot/bin/orangepipc.bin orangepipc.heatsink.fex
sed -i "s/1296000/1536000/g; s/1320/1500/" orangepipc.heatsink.fex
cp /etc/default/cpufrequtils /etc/default/cpufrequtils~
sed -i "s/1296000/1536000/" /etc/default/cpufrequtils
fex2bin orangepipc.heatsink.fex /boot/bin/orangepipc.heatsink.bin
mv /boot/script.bin /boot/script.bin~
cp  /boot/bin/orangepipc.heatsink.bin /boot/script.bin
reboot

i didn't saw huge improvments in PPSSPP but now locoroco run super smooth.
with nintendo64 i saw more improvments for example in fifa when is raining the audio has distortion at 1536mhz run ok.

ps then you can swithc frequency quicky using:
cpufreq-set -u 1200mhz
cpufreq-set -u 1296mhz
cpufreq-set -u 1536mhz
Yes, thanks, i've seen someone trying that before, also not achieving a real improvement. I dont know if it's something we should offer as an option
Can it break something? If not, why wouldn't you offer the option? Apparently it does improve N64 games. (Will try myself when I receive the board.)
(06-15-2017, 11:54 AM)barrymossel Wrote: Can it break something? If not, why wouldn't you offer the option? Apparently it does improve N64 games. (Will try myself when I receive the board.)

I think yes, considering that the board came without heatsink... is possible to damage something also with an heatsink...
In many cases i think that the bottleneck is gpu capabilities...
Anyway it helps
but cpufreq-set -g performance helps more with less risk...
(06-16-2017, 07:43 AM)Lamerjack Wrote:
(06-15-2017, 11:54 AM)barrymossel Wrote: Can it break something? If not, why wouldn't you offer the option? Apparently it does improve N64 games. (Will try myself when I receive the board.)

I think yes, considering that the board came without heatsink... is possible to damage something also with an heatsink...
In many cases i think that the bottleneck is gpu capabilities...
Anyway it helps
but cpufreq-set -g performance helps more with less risk...
Do you have to do that every time you turn it on or does it stay like that?  The set performance command?
since v4.1 we already set to performance governor everytime a game is run (retropie's runcommand.sh)
(12-05-2017, 11:08 PM)alexkidd Wrote: since v4.1 we already set to performance governor everytime a game is run (retropie's runcommand.sh)

Ok thank you very much.
I put a old PC Fan over the Orange Pi One board, 80x80mm x 12v, in 5v supply. Because a low voltage the fan work 40% to nominal speed, but the result is great.
Before with just heat sink the temp stay in 65cº, is really HOT, now around 18cº, 20cº

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=F7CnilPEQS0