Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ropi4 crashes
So I have ropi4 installed on a orange pi PC + 
And it will crash on boot. Randomly freeze while in the menu. It's pretty much useless.
I have done a clean install from ropi 3 IMG and then did a install using ropi4.sh 
Has anyone else been having these issues? Do you know how I can fix it?
Random crashes are common with bad power supplies and fake sdcards or when there is no heatsink/proper airflow,
(11-10-2017, 09:36 AM)alexkidd Wrote: Random crashes are common with bad power supplies and fake sdcards or when there is no heatsink/proper airflow,

Well I'm using a Samsung power supply with 2 amp @5 volts. And a lexar SD card and I have a heat sink.
My setup hasn't changed from running ropi3 and I never had these issues. They only started after upgrading to 4.
Do you know where I can find the logs?
Most people updated without issues, judging from many reports on our facebook group. My guess is that something went wrong with the update.
You can try to get some logs with 'sudo journalctl' OR 'dmesg'
i had a crash on boot issue and changed supplies and it works fine now...went from 2a to 2.5a...
(11-10-2017, 01:48 PM)alexkidd Wrote: Most people updated without issues, judging from many reports on our facebook group. My guess is that something went wrong with the update.
You can try to get some logs with 'sudo journalctl' OR  'dmesg'

So I was able to get 4.0 installed and I fixed all my crashing issues. 

1. Yes you were right about my power supppy (sort of) So my power supply was fine, but my cable wasn't. I had been using a usb extension cable and that was causing enough of a drop in power to cause issues. When I removed the cable things instantly became more stable. 

2. I ended up reflashing 3.0 and then installing to emmc. This removed any doubt that my sd card was bad. (I didn't notice any issues running from the sd card since I fixed the power issue but better safe then sorry) 

3. Once I had 3.0 running from the emmc I then installed 4.0. I was logged in as root but I was sure to use sudo -u pi ropi4.sh 
the previous times I was logged in as pi but still used -u pi (I know it seems redundant) 

so to recap, having a good power supply and a good cable made all the difference.
Glad it works now. OrangePis are long known PSU/sdcard highly sensitive boards Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo After try scraper it crash ropi4. 1 caioandrade 0 857 12-14-2017, 05:33 PM
Last Post: caioandrade