Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Arcade Sticks (NationZ Chipset) RoPI on "Pandoras Box 6"
Hello!

Thanks for taking the time to read my situation, I'm hoping somebody can help me out here because it'd be great if I can get my situation working with this EXCELLENT gaming solution; I'd be even able to throw a tip out for a good solution!

To see everything I'm talking about, please check out the gallery I've created here: https://imgur.com/gallery/za9zA

A month ago I went on ebay and got a "Pandora's Box 6" which is a whole other big thing to read about regarding MAME emulation -- bottom line is that this thing is a clone from an original concept using JAMMA hardware, yadda yadda.... I just got it because I didn't feel like completely building an arcade station totally from scratch.
Bottom line is, this clone is using some sort of stripped down hardware that's got an H3 in it and the RoPI PC Plus image DOES work on this (so far, I'm sure I'm going to need to do more tweaking beyond what I'm asking). The joysticks seem to be hooked up to some "NationZ" 19fd:3232 controller. 

I'm already using the joysticks with Steam games on windows, they do work very well for that. The H3 hardware in it has 512 GB memory and it has an 8 GB emmc. There is 1 conventional USB port, along with another usb pinout going to the "NationZ" controller. That "NationZ" controller has another connection that can go to another computer. I was able to deploy the RoPI PC Plus image onto the emmc via FEL mode thanks to https://github.com/zador-blood-stained/fel-mass-storage and I was able to get this to boot following instructions on the forum thanks to cologne86's suggestion here: http://orangepi.club/showthread.php?tid=...00#pid4000 

So, ultimately, my big problem seems pretty common where the joysticks are being detected as one controller and the up and left directions do not work - I can not fully map them. I did find some clues about how to possibly address this by finding details about the "Xin Mo Controller" but I'm sort of hitting a brick wall on it. Can somebody help me out with getting the joysticks to work on this?

Thanks for all your help!
Can somebody help point me in the right direction on how to compile a custom kernel that I can use against the latest release? I think I have the right places to patch to get myself up and running but I'm really getting confused on how to build the kernel correctly...
Can you try the previous version, It seems to behave better with uncommon hardware...
http://www.retrorangepi.org/images/3.0.1/

All sources we use are available at https:/github.com/retr0rangepi
I'll have a go with the older version as you suggest - I have a feeling I need to patch the kernel because of what I'm finding out about the xinmo problem that was going on in the past --

https://github.com/retr0rangepi/build is where I'm trying to go ahead and rebuild the kernel.

I've attached what I'm trying to patch with, but it winds up failing because probably I'm patching against the wrong revision.

EDIT:
Looks like I'm getting a 404 with the resource you provided, I'll fish around and see what I can find if I need to go to the older version...

I'm figuring out how to get my patch effectively into the compiled debs but then when I try to install them I have issues booting -- maybe I should try building my own custom image and trying to put RoPI in that?

Attached Files
.txt   nationz-2p-joystick-pbox6.txt (Size: 1.61 KB / Downloads: 9)
(01-21-2018, 08:51 PM)AboveUnrefined Wrote: I'll have a go with the older version as you suggest - I have a feeling I need to patch the kernel because of what I'm finding out about the xinmo problem that was going on in the past --

https://github.com/retr0rangepi/build is where I'm trying to go ahead and rebuild the kernel.

I've attached what I'm trying to patch with, but it winds up failing because probably I'm patching against the wrong revision.

EDIT:
Looks like I'm getting a 404 with the resource you provided, I'll fish around and see what I can find if I need to go to the older version...

I'm figuring out how to get my patch effectively into the compiled debs but then when I try to install them I have issues booting -- maybe I should try building my own custom image and trying to put RoPI in that?

AboveRefined, it seems I am in the same boat as you, and on the same track. Here is the patch I'm using, apparently a lot of these clones have different id's and do need to be compiled into the kernel. I'll try to add yours to my patch as well, as I have a linux box setup with 16.04 to compile the kernel which I've done before and I'll try to get this done today. I may need to hardcode the patches into the c files, because I've seen some people online have trouble with patches taking. And then just have figure out how to install it to the orange..

I'll let you know how it goes for me.

Attached Files
.txt   up-left.txt (Size: 1.6 KB / Downloads: 9)
(01-25-2018, 07:31 PM)a23kil Wrote:
(01-21-2018, 08:51 PM)AboveUnrefined Wrote: I'll have a go with the older version as you suggest - I have a feeling I need to patch the kernel because of what I'm finding out about the xinmo problem that was going on in the past --

EDIT:

AboveRefined, it seems I am in the same boat as you, and on the same track. Here is the patch I'm using, apparently a lot of these clones have different id's and do need to be compiled into the kernel. I'll try to add yours to my patch as well, as I have a linux box setup with 16.04 to compile the kernel which I've done before and I'll try to get this done today. I may need to hardcode the patches into the c files, because I've seen some people online have trouble with patches taking. And then just have figure out how to install it to the orange..

I'll let you know how it goes for me.

I'll report a status and things I did as soon as I get past the "compiling headers - please wait ..." stage...

If anybody knows a good way to work around slow storage (which seems to be the culprit here) please share!

I might also try to use a fresh generated img and go from that to try to install ropi from there, if that's possible...
This is where I am so far. It's a lot but I'll go through everything I did.

Cloned the repository https://github.com/retr0rangepi/build

I added my patch directly to "patch/kernel/sun8i-default/0001-hid-Add-new-driver-for-non-compliant-Xin-Mo-devices.patch" and just replaced what was there with my id and device name. Doing it this way will only work with my device unfortunately but it seemed more simple for me just to test.

cd /build/
sudo ./compile.sh

then you get this error:

[ warn ] Can't update since you made changes to:
patch/kernel/sun8i-default/0001-hid-Add-new-driver-for-non-compliant-Xin-Mo-devices.patch
Press <Ctrl-C> to abort compilation, <Enter> to ignore and continue

Just press enter, I think it's ok.

Then:
choose u-boot and kernel
default configuration
choose your board
default / legacy

It should continue ok after this point, look for this message to make sure patch got picked up.

[ o.k. ] ... [l][c] 0001-hid-Add-new-driver-for-non-compliant-Xin-Mo-devices.patch [ succeeded ]

Then it will ask : "Support for NEON in kernel mode (KERNEL_MODE_NEON) [N/y/?] (NEW)" and a couple more questions..

I just answer No to the first one otherwise it didn't compile for me, and I don't know if the other ones matter but you can say yes or no I tried all combinations.

Then you're left with these deb files in /build/output/debs

linux-firmware.. / header / image / source / u-boot

I copied over only the firmware, header, and image debs to the orangepi. I read somewhere that's all that's needed

ran: sudo dpkg -i *.deb

They installed just fine, but it wouldn't boot anymore, got errors on the boot screen that said something about the boot script.

I recompiled the boot.scr with "mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr" and it seemed to get rid of all those errors. But now after it says "Loading zImage" it goes to a black screen for a few seconds and then reboots and gets stuck in a loop.

I may try installing all debs and see where that gets me.. But this is where I'm stuck now.
@a23kill

I did pretty much the same thing, but I noticed how versioning seemed a bit off from the https://github.com/retr0rangepi/build repo AND I hit the same problem as you.

I'm now trying to use a result from the main repo it was forked from (https://github.com/armbian/build) and pulled from the NEXT branch, but it is taking bloody FOREVER (over 2 says so far!) at compiling those headers. I might cancel it out and start over again from 0, maybe even figure how to get this to go from a faster USB storage or figure to make dpkg do its thing from a ramdisk.

There was some nuances I've noticed while compiling the kernel, namely making sure to have the controller input modules enabled and the Mali module enabled too. They were under their respective driver sections.
Apologies for giving a late reply: a little bit of info.
1. our Armbian fork is still not even with upstream, so it might be better for you to clone upstream instead, if you want the latest Armbian features;
2. building it successfully might get you a bootable image, but not a fully featured RetrOrangePi image as all gaming content is added/compiled in the image building process (RetroPie-Setup, EmulationStation, standalone emulators etc)
3. you will have to choose Legacy kernel from Armbian build tools, there is no hardware acceleration in mainline yet (WIP)
4. Mali modules r4p0 needs to be added manually as well (default Armbian use r3p0 but we had better result with v4)
5. if you still haven't checked, here is our full sources page: https://github.com/retr0rangepi/RetrOran...SOURCES.md
6. last but not least: as soon as we find spare time, almost non existant these past few weeks, we will march towards v4.2 update including your patch in case you dont find a workaround, and hopefully update our build tools (cannot promise though, so please dont quote me! :p )
(01-25-2018, 11:18 PM)alexkidd Wrote: Apologies for giving a late reply: a little bit of info.
1. our Armbian fork is still not even with upstream, so it might be better for you to clone upstream instead, if you want the latest Armbian features;
2. building it successfully might get you a bootable image, but not a fully featured RetrOrangePi image as all gaming content is added/compiled in the image building process (RetroPie-Setup, EmulationStation, standalone emulators etc)
3. you will have to choose Legacy kernel from Armbian build tools, there is no hardware acceleration in mainline yet (WIP)
4. Mali modules r4p0 needs to be added manually as well (default Armbian use r3p0 but we had better result with v4)
5. if you still haven't checked, here is our full sources page: https://github.com/retr0rangepi/RetrOran...SOURCES.md
6. last but not least: as soon as we find spare time, almost non existant these past few weeks, we will march towards v4.2 update including your patch in case you dont find a workaround, and hopefully update our build tools (cannot promise though, so please dont quote me! :p )

That would be great Alex, so others don't have to deal with this in the future.

And I'll keep trying over here in the meantime with the notes you gave.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clone ROPI 4.1 from EMMC to MicroSD garcia 2 60 08-02-2018, 10:53 PM
Last Post: alexkidd
  FPS drops (every game and emulator) when used two arcade joysticks (pcb brook ps4) webfly 3 136 07-15-2018, 05:36 PM
  Well i need helo...ropi not booting..special case masteripper 4 146 07-15-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: masteripper
  Arcade monitor 15khz ribasrogerio 2 122 07-10-2018, 04:52 AM
Last Post: ribasrogerio
  Orangepi pc image comes out of the screen Ropi 4.1 juliodias0297 8 1,202 05-21-2018, 12:19 PM
Last Post: juliodias0297
  OPANGEPI PC ROPI 4.1 gamepad problem unrw@mail.ru 8 1,389 05-05-2018, 08:48 AM
Last Post: djcasl
  how to remove kodi from ropi 4.1? Garrafinha 2 358 04-20-2018, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Garrafinha
  where i can dowload ROPI 3.1 unrw@mail.ru 1 389 03-19-2018, 09:46 AM
  ROPI 4.2 how long? unrw@mail.ru 1 463 03-19-2018, 09:45 AM
  PROBLEM - ROMS self deleted on ROPI 4 unrw@mail.ru 5 819 03-15-2018, 12:57 PM