Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Arcade Sticks (NationZ Chipset) RoPI on "Pandoras Box 6"
i'm not the one in charge of building the images, so i dont have all details. Was wondering if editing some of the boot configs would change anything at all, check armbianEnv.txt , it seems to contain some specific kernel instructions
Any info is valuable given the situation, thanks Alex!

I'll have time tomorrow afternoon to start cracking at it again.

I feel like having something in a meta file like armbianEnv.txt to include your vendor id and device id for this up/left issue would be a smarter way to fix it, that way we don't need to keep doing more and more patching...
If anybody wants to take a look at the patches, I've attached the latest ones including a23kil's patch for the next and legacy branch.

For the legacy patch, I just piggybacked on what was already there as a patch for this. On the next branch I just made one off the repo next was currently using.

I'm starting another build this time following Alex's instructions and doing things a little different:

1. I pulled from https://github.com/retr0rangepi/build and set upstream `git remote add upstream https://github.com/armbian/build.git`
2. `git fetch upstream` `git pull upstream master`
3. Put the attached patch file into ./userpatches/kernel/sun8i-default/0001-hid-Add-new-driver-for-non-compliant-Xin-Mo-devices.patch
4. `./compile.sh`
5. Select 'U-Boot and Kernel Packages', 'Show a kernel configuration...', 'orangepipcplus', 'vendor provided / legacy'
6. Watch to make sure: [ o.k ] * [u][c] 0001-hid-Add-new-driver-for-non-compliant-Xin-Mo-devices.patch
7. I combed through the settings, looked fine - let it go as is.
8. Wait for build to complete, attempt to install on target device (attempting to make sure the operations happen in a memdisk)
9. Update status here

-------Future Plan--------

Once everything installs I'd also install the debs supplied on https://github.com/retr0rangepi/sunxi-mali

Hopefully that'll be that!

Attached Files
.txt   legacy-0001-hid-Add-new-driver-for-non-compliant-Xin-Mo-devices.patch.txt (Size: 5.51 KB / Downloads: 2)
.txt   next-arcade-joysticks.patch.txt (Size: 1.8 KB / Downloads: 1)
did you find this post on your searches? http://orangepi.club/showthread.php?tid=...298#pid298

i think it may work for you without needing to recompile the whole thing
(01-26-2018, 08:12 PM)alexkidd Wrote: did you find this post on your searches? http://orangepi.club/showthread.php?tid=...298#pid298

i think it may work for you without needing to recompile the whole thing

I did see that and do the quirks part for dual controller, up and left don't register on either stick though because the out of bounds stuff.
This is proving to be quite a tough nut to crack!

I've tried swapping out hid-xinmo.ko with the one I've compiled, but that didn't work at all

Maybe if you try a23kill, it'll work for you... it's hard for me to say since my device has different vendor id (but same behavior)

I'm ripping it from lib\modules\3.4.113-sun8i\kernel\drivers\hid in the generated linux-image-sun8i_5.38_armhf.deb
@AboveUnrefined

Good work! I'll try those things you've suggested and see if I get it working.

I've been busy with other work so I haven't been able to touch this as much as I wanted. One thing I did do however was compile the image like you were suggesting earlier, and I tested the joysticks with evtest and I get left and up axis -1 responses! Only problem with that is I'd have to install all the rest of retrorangepie on top of that basic armbian image, which is probably a massive job in itself and I wouldn't know where to start. But I just wanted to verify the patch fixes the axes.

Why not also modify the patch so that the vendor id is changed as well. Would that work for you?

I'll update when I try the kernel patch again which would be much simpler if it can work that way.
(01-28-2018, 01:10 AM)a23kil Wrote: @AboveUnrefined

Good work! I'll try those things you've suggested and see if I get it working.

I've been busy with other work so I haven't been able to touch this as much as I wanted. One thing I did do however was compile the image like you were suggesting earlier, and I tested the joysticks with evtest and I get left and up axis -1 responses! Only problem with that is I'd have to install all the rest of retrorangepie on top of that basic armbian image, which is probably a massive job in itself and I wouldn't know where to start. But I just wanted to verify the patch fixes the axes.

Why not also modify the patch so that the vendor id is changed as well. Would that work for you?

I'll update when I try the kernel patch again which would be much simpler if it can work that way.

You know what? I think I messed up and didn't do something right, because I redid what I outlined and I'm back at the bad API version check from the graphics driver... sorry about that!

Now I get the joysticks and have up + left, but no more graphics... guess there's no way around it!

I'm going to edit my previous posts so others don't go down the wrong hole...

OKAY I DID IT

So, what you do is this (I'll write things up better later):

Extract the contents of the deb like I said, except keep /lib/modules/3.4.113-sun8i/kernel/drivers/gpu to the way it was.

THAT DOES IT

Mission fuggen accomplished!
HA I just came to the same solution, did what you said, and copied the mali drivers when I saw it didn't boot.

Great job! Thanks for everything.

Maybe should write up a step by step for anybody else having this problem. Would be great if we could get it patched for everyone, but with so many clones out there who knows what ID's they will have. Is it possible to make that variable external?
Here's what to do:

1. Build custom kernel with applied patches
2. Extract contents from linux-image-sun8i_5.38_armhf.deb
3. Flash RoPI, mount /dev/sdx2 from the flashed result
4. Here's the tricky part: Overwrite ./lib/modules/3.4.113-sun8i EXCEPT FOR ./lib/modules/3.4.113-sun8i/kernel/drivers/gpu with contents from linux-image-sun8i_5.38_armhf.deb (you'll see how the directories match up, just overwrite the destination from the deb source)
5. Unmount /dev/sdx2
6. Mount /dev/sdx1
7. Overwrite ./ with contents of boot from linux-image-sun8i_5.38_armhf.deb
8. Go through the intial boot process for RoPI

Basically, the trick is to PRESERVE /lib/modules/3.4.113-sun8i/kernel/drivers/gpu while overwriting everything else. Your patch will be effectively applied at that point and you can avoid even more chaos with the video compilation.

(01-28-2018, 03:22 AM)a23kil Wrote: HA I just came to the same solution, did what you said, and copied the mali drivers when I saw it didn't boot.

Great job! Thanks for everything.

Maybe should write up a step by step for anybody else having this problem. Would be great if we could get it patched for everyone, but with so many clones out there who knows what ID's they will have. Is it possible to make that variable external?

I totally agree, and having to go through the kernel source and the worm holes I had to go through to figure this out, I think there's bigger fish to fry with handling usb devices in general.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  is there some list of compatible gamepads for ROPI 4.1 on orange pie PC? unrw@mail.ru 0 89 02-01-2018, 06:17 AM
Last Post: unrw@mail.ru
  OPANGEPI PC ROPI 4.1 gamepad problem unrw@mail.ru 2 167 02-01-2018, 06:16 AM
Last Post: unrw@mail.ru
  Controle Arcade USB Ernesto Bez 5 290 01-17-2018, 10:56 PM
Last Post: alexkidd
Question Cannonball port not loading (Ropi 4.1) canadien 3 270 12-15-2017, 06:10 AM
Last Post: canadien
  splashScreen dont' work Ropi 4.1 caioandrade 2 294 12-14-2017, 12:35 AM
Last Post: caioandrade
  WiFi doesn't work on ROPi OPi PC+ USB dongle zachxa 5 454 12-11-2017, 12:11 AM
  Error when i start ropi on tv Raziello 4 369 12-09-2017, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Raziello
  Desktop browser ropi 4 kill_us_Now 1 202 11-27-2017, 03:26 PM