Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Support for Astrocade, Channel F ?
Hi,

I was excited to try out Version 4.1 retrorangepi on my Orange Pi Lite. Reading the Homepage it said it supports Bally Astrocade, Channel F,  Creativision,  Sam Coupe and TI99/4a

However I found none of the emulators even under the other core packages. I do see a rom folder for CRVISION.

How do I get these other emulators working?

Do they require BIOS ROM?

Any help is appreciated.
Due to lack of interest, we never added a howto to those obscure platforms, hehe... it's been a while since i got them working.

Well, they work through AdvanceMESS.  And yes, they do need BIOS. Basically, you just need to copy the AdvMESS bioses (.zip files) to the folder /home/pi/.advance/rom and the correspondent folder with game images to /home/pi/.advance/image. For example, TI99/4a is included by default.  If you check the /usr/local/share/advance folder, you will see ti99_4a.zip (BIOS) in the rom folder and a few games in the image/ti99_4a folder (alpiner.zip, carwars.zip, parsec.zip etc).

Whenever there are bios and image roms in those folders, they will appear in AdvMENU frontend, along with MAME roms (try our Multiboot feature, go into Desktop and select AdvanceMENU from the upper bar). Check this video:

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/nzDwCRRxPcs?t=60[/video]

You can also run them from command line. For example: /usr/local/bin/advmess astrocde or /usr/local/bin/advmess channelf , some will require extra parameters.

There is a good thread on RetroPie forum, so you can get more info as how AdvMESS works: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3965...-channel-f

Creativision should work from emulationstation, needs BIOS as well, only .bin games are accepted, filenames cannot have spaces.

Let me know your progress... :p
So limited luck so far: Ti99/4a works and able to use from Advmame boot menu.

For creativision, It shows up in ES but the games do not run, I get the launch message box then they quit to menu.
I have a BIOS installed but do not know if it is named correctly. How do i find out correct naming of BIOS/ROMS?

As Far as other emulators Astrocade, channel F etc. I have the roms and bioses in the three areas you listed above but they do not show up in Advmame startup screen..but then again, will they? I have no snaps of the roms?

Any more help?
(03-16-2018, 05:48 AM)Everett1954 Wrote: So limited luck so far: Ti99/4a works and able to use from Advmame boot menu.
Cool!

For creativision, It shows up in ES but the games do not run, I get the launch message box then they quit to menu.
I have a BIOS installed but do not know if it is named correctly. How do i find out correct naming of BIOS/ROMS?
correct BIOS name is bioscv.rom  ; dont forget to remove spaces from filenames. You can also edit the gamepad mappings for Creativision in the Desktop - Games - QJOYPAD. Check this howto

As Far as other emulators Astrocade, channel F etc. I have the roms and bioses in the three areas you listed above but they do not show up in Advmame startup screen..but then again, will they? I have no snaps of the roms?
Yes, they will. When there is no snap it will show a gray square. Maybe you just need to name them correctly. For example, for Astrocade , you will probably need astrocde.zip, astrocdl.zip and astrocdw.zip .

Any more help?

I tested it yesterday Wink =>

[Image: 28753481_935358769980367_2689949961788850176_n.jpg]
[Image: 28433534_227111477853446_8604959744811073536_n.jpg]
Thanks were can I find the proper format and naming for the emulators that are used in Advmane? I am sure that is most of my problem.

Also for Astrocade you show three files: For example, for Astrocade , you will probably need astrocde.zip, astrocdl.zip and astrocdw.zip . Are they all BIOS files?
Search for the Mess Bios , they're pretty common, all zip files, hundreds of supported platforms.
Those astrocade are all bioses .
OK Still no luck with creativision which should be the easiest. I found the official MESS BIOS files and when I unzip the bios its file name is crvision.u20. Is that the correct fliename for Bios? can you check your system?

I did however get Astrocade, Channel F and Emerson Arcadia to mostly work except sound. I do not have any game sounds in any of the emulators including TI99/4A except for the snap sounds. Any ideas about this one?

Thanks
(03-18-2018, 12:03 AM)Everett1954 Wrote: OK Still no luck with creativision which should be the easiest. I found the official MESS BIOS files and when I unzip the bios its file name is crvision.u20. Is that the correct fliename for Bios? can you check your system?

Just a correction. Creativision has its own emulator. It's not a MESS core. Correct syntax is "bioscv.rom".  It wont be hard to find them Wink

if , even after providing the bioses, you still cannot succeed, there might be a bug with v4.1, i'm working on the OPi Zero image and i encountered this issue, so add "/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf" to /opt/retropie/configs/crvision/emulators.cfg, so it gets like this:

crvision = "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/GLSHIM:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf startx /opt/retropie/configs/crvision/crvision.sh %ROM%"

csl_mode = "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/GLSHIM:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf startx /opt/retropie/configs/crvision/csl_mode.sh %ROM%"
Salora = "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/GLSHIM:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf startx /opt/retropie/configs/crvision/Salora.sh %ROM%"

it will probably require one more fix i will upload tomorrow.

I did however get Astrocade, Channel F and Emerson Arcadia to mostly work except sound. I do not have any game sounds in any of the emulators including TI99/4A except for the snap sounds. Any ideas about this one?

I just tested AstroCade, it worked fine with sound. Try editing /home/pi/.advance/advmess.rc . Locate device_sound and change it to sdl instead of auto. Maybe it helps

Thanks
No luck with the sound or Creativision, I noticed on the emulator link that there are 3 or 4 files listed under bios, do i just need the bioscv.rom one or all of them?
i will probably have to fix creativision script, so please try this from command line:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/GLSHIM:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf startx /opt/retropie/configs/crvision/crvision.sh ~/RetroPie/roms/crvision/GAMENAME.bin

only bioscv.rom is needed for the default crvision emulation mode, if you choose csl or salora, will require them as well

About Astrocade, i'm failing to find what could be the culprit here. Did you change any configuration?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  USB Sound Card support in RetrOrangePi v4? djcasl 5 649 05-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Last Post: DeJaVu