Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RetrOrangePi handheld project
I'd just like to share a project I have been working on. Goal was to build a handheld gaming device for as cheap as possible. So far has come in at around $20 usd. 
Computer is an OrangePi Zero
Screen in an 2.8 inch  ili9341 tft
Joystick is full analog (for emulators that support it) and is hooked up to the orange pi via an ads1015 analog to digital convertor.
Next steps:
Get audio going through some mini speakers.
3d print a case for it

Big thanks to all the contributors to the RetrOrangePi project.

Awesome, congrats. Can you describe your steps to make the screen work? Many people ask about that TFT model.
i too would be very interested to learn how to interact with that screen
Following on from a topic on here, I tried my luck with BB-CP. As discussed in that topic, the frame rate isn't great (and it pretty heavy on the cpu) but most games are still quite playable. I found reducing the resolution of the screen for fb0 to 240 x320 helped things a little.
(04-28-2018, 06:04 AM)nzPaul Wrote: I'd just like to share a project I have been working on. Goal was to build a handheld gaming device for as cheap as possible. So far has come in at around $20 usd. 
Computer is an OrangePi Zero
Screen in an 2.8 inch  ili9341 tft
Joystick is full analog (for emulators that support it) and is hooked up to the orange pi via an ads1015 analog to digital convertor.
Next steps:
Get audio going through some mini speakers.
3d print a case for it

Big thanks to all the contributors to the RetrOrangePi project.

hi really nice build.....

would you mind sharing any issues you faced getting the SPI screen working (and how well does it perform)....
and also for the GPIO controls...

thanks...

Very good project.

I wonder how you drive the controllers on the board. While the screen start up, there is a controller detection screen to ask you confirm every bottoms on your controller.

Without this step, it is unable to go into panel.

How do you overcome the controller matter? I wonder dismantle the old "Sony PS2 controller" to be as the joystick and button as your project showing. If I am able to find a "driver", I think I will consider to do it.

Thanks your inspiration sharing. It is incentive.