Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to install RetrOrangePi onto pre-installed Armbian
Question 
Is there any way install RetrOrangepi to my orangepi+2e?
It's not possible to have the exact same version on pre-installed Armbian, as we've added our customization to armbian build tool and other manual tweaking.
Anyway, It's possible to install some of the components and run emulators. Basically, you need to install the framebuffer Mali drivers (matching the kernel module - version r3p0) in another path (/usr/local/lib) to avoid conflicts with existing X11 Mali lib (included in Armbian image), clone base repositories in https://github.com/retr0rangepi (RetrOrangePi, RetroPie-Setup, EmulationStation etc) and then compile each component separately.

Maybe we'll have an easy script someday, no much time though.
(06-21-2018, 09:19 AM)alexkidd Wrote: It's not possible to have the exact same version on pre-installed Armbian, as we've added our customization to armbian build tool and other manual tweaking.
Anyway, It's possible to install some of the components and run emulators. Basically, you need to install the framebuffer Mali drivers (matching the kernel module - version r3p0) in another path (/usr/local/lib) to avoid conflicts with existing X11 Mali lib (included in Armbian image), clone base repositories in https://github.com/retr0rangepi (RetrOrangePi, RetroPie-Setup, EmulationStation etc) and then compile each component separately.

Maybe we'll have an easy script someday, no much time though.

Hello everyone!

I ran RetroPie-Setup on an otherwise normally installed armbian legacy kernel on orangepi pc plus. The script ran like whole night and finished with some errors related to n64 emulation, but that is quite ok for me as I do not really need everything I guess and would be happy.

However earlier I had a working opengl2 setup with gl4es and a working opengl 1.x setup with glshim in place and now normal linux games like tuxracer are going very slowly as if only software rendering is done. I have tried "glmark2-es2" too and got a score of 77 but I cannot compary it to anything as I have not done it before the retropie setup.

Also it seems that "antimicro" which I used for mouse and keyboard emulation for my keypad now only works when I do it with "sudo antimicro". I figured this with jstest --event -dev/input/js0 complaining about not having rights for the input!

Is it possible that video acceleration not seeming to work is a permission issue too now? Also retropie do not want to start up beause it says there are no controllers (it says so because of the same permission issue I think).

What Retropie-setup can do to the GPU driver or GPU acceleration that would relate to my issues? I want my opengl support back through gl4es and quite sad that after the script normal gl programs not running anymore (except with awful speed) :-(

Can anyone help me?

I also tried armbian forums, but they tell it is not their table and I guess they are also right in this. I did not know that the script can cause problems when run. At least some info in the README.md would be great...
PS.: I made my user part of the "input" group and after that the gamepad started to work and I have tested it with opentyrian through emulationstation of the installed retropie.

It seems that the installment is also incomplete for retropie... I do not see any emulator in the menu - maybe they only show up if I add roms? (but I thought there will be some pre-existing ones for testing purposes though).

The system opengl performance seems to be still bad. gl2es does not seem to work. My biggest question is: Did the Retropie-Setup.sh install script do something that changed the way GLES works? I choose to install the retropie base with the installer but no extras - except opentyrian.
(07-08-2018, 03:21 PM)prenex Wrote: PS.: I made my user part of the "input" group and after that the gamepad started to work and I have tested it with opentyrian through emulationstation of the installed retropie.
Did you flash our  image? Or compiled it on your own? If it's the latter, will be tough to give support.

It seems that the installment is also incomplete for retropie... I do not see any emulator in the menu - maybe they only show up if I add roms? (but I thought there will be some pre-existing ones for testing purposes though).

it's stated in the Readme first thread, emulators will appear if you copy roms. http://orangepi.club/showthread.php?tid=2269 . Some of retropie content have raspberry dependencies, they wont work in orange pi's.

The system opengl performance seems to be still bad. gl2es does not seem to work. My biggest question is: Did the Retropie-Setup.sh install script do something that changed the way GLES works? I choose to install the retropie base with the installer but no extras - except opentyrian.

there is no OpenGL support, except for glshim, works with some content. Mali accelerates GLES content, opentyrian does not seems to be compatible with Mali .
apologies, i only read your first message afterwards.... to sum up, opengl content will run on X11, but you'll have to point to glshim libGL folder, something like:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libglshim ./yourbinary
as said before, it's hard to give support, we cannot reproduce your install or have spare time to go through them, sorry.
(07-08-2018, 03:34 PM)alexkidd Wrote:
(07-08-2018, 03:21 PM)prenex Wrote: PS.: I made my user part of the "input" group and after that the gamepad started to work and I have tested it with opentyrian through emulationstation of the installed retropie.
Did you flash our  image? Or compiled it on your own? If it's the latter, will be tough to give support.

it's stated in the Readme first thread, emulators will appear if you copy roms. http://orangepi.club/showthread.php?tid=2269 . Some of retropie content have raspberry dependencies, they wont work in orange pi's.

there is no OpenGL support, except for glshim, works with some content. Mali accelerates GLES content, opentyrian does not seems to be compatible with Mali .

Quote:Did you flash our  image? Or compiled it on your own? If it's the latter, will be tough to give support.

I did not flash the image because I want(ed) to use the same armbian for my lightweight web server (lighttpd) and gitea server with an external hdd. If I flash retrorangepi to an SD card then my services would be not available while I play and I hoped that this can be fixed by doing the RetroPie-Setup.sh script manually. There was close to nothing info in its README.md on github so I thought I might work to some degree.

Quote:it's stated in the Readme first thread, emulators will appear if you copy roms. http://orangepi.club/showthread.php?tid=2269 . Some of retropie content have raspberry dependencies, they wont work in orange pi's.

That's ok then maybe. I will add some roms and read about directories of them. Actually my bigger problem is not retropie now, but it seems it kind of changed my system in ways I did not thought it will do.

Quote:there is no OpenGL support, except for glshim, works with some content. Mali accelerates GLES content, opentyrian does not seems to be compatible with Mali .

I know. Earlier I had glshim and gl4es working on my system - but now they seem to not work! glshim seems to segfault now and with gl4es the performance is really bad. I quess even though I add LD_LIBRARY_PATH properly and gl4es starts up, for some reason things are literally as slow as if there would be no gl4es. I see from the logs that gl4es runs when I set it up to run, but performance is the same when I am not setting it up to run.

This was working well before I ran the RetroPie-Setup.sh script for the last night. Now it seems only software rasterizing works...

I would love to undo this or understand what could have been changed.

FYI: gl4es is like glshim, but it seems to be more recent, having OpenGL 2 support and not only OpenGL 1.x

See here: https://github.com/ptitSeb/gl4es

So in short: my goal is to have functioning gl4es as before and any information about what could have been changed in the graphics setup by running the script might help me if there is no direct help... Now my keypads do function as before at least.

Also I guess it could be useful for others who try to install retrorangepi to an existing armbian so that is why I added these questions to this forum.

Also I asked around on the armbian forums. There I have pasted some log messages and things like that, also we kind of concluded that GLES still works being hardware accelerated - but I am still unsure btw as I cannot compare it to earlier results as I only used opengl apps and not gles apps so there is no comparation base.

Now I get 77 points in glmark2-es2 and es2_gears seem to have higher FPS than glxgears.

I do not know what went wrong as gl4es still seems to be in operation (see other forum logs) but now it is as slow as a software rasterizer...

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/7662-gl4...ment-57721

^^this is where I asked armbian guys too. Just to be clear I tried to get information from this source too in case anyone will read this ever for their own problems.
From what I've seen already, installing retropie from scratch will compile sdl2 and install its dependencies, one of them is Mesa GL which probably overwrites GLshim, so maybe you can move them somewhere else,
Search libGL.so.1, you'll probably find two instances
One more cue is that this line changed in the gl4es log after the update:

"LIBGL: Hardware vendor is ARM"

^^Became:

"LIBGL: Hardware vendor is VMware, Inc."

This is another cue, thank you for the sdl2 cue too.
yes, libsdl2-dev requires libgl1-mesa-dev that depends on libgl1-mesa-glx (which contains libGL.so) . VMware = Mesa, ARM = Mali

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PVR IPTV simple for RetrOrangePi v4 ? prixes 2 51 09-16-2018, 06:26 AM
Last Post: prixes
Bug Retrorangepi BPI m2 plus Wifi connect and don't show ip jimlee32 3 158 08-03-2018, 11:12 PM
Last Post: alexkidd
  How do you setup etcher on armbian? Merlin3D 7 397 06-27-2018, 09:12 AM
  is it OK to update Armbian? sprectre 4 868 06-15-2018, 06:54 PM
  RetrOrangePi 4.1 - Orange Pi Zero GPIO - Getting GPIO to work bharathram21391 15 1,517 05-15-2018, 04:58 PM
  USB Sound Card support in RetrOrangePi v4? djcasl 5 653 05-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Last Post: DeJaVu
  Orange pi lite retrorangepi 4.1 won't boot Merlin3D 5 1,919 05-06-2018, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Padova
  RetrOrangepi Zero 4.1 fredjedimaster 2 587 04-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Last Post: fredjedimaster
  problem to install on orangepiplus2e emmc co4x 12 2,255 03-16-2018, 02:00 AM
Last Post: FilipeCastro
  Please Help with Install. mightythias 1 473 03-15-2018, 12:26 AM