Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Try to reborn my Orange pi plus 2
Rainbow 
Hejo Retrorangepi Team and the rest of the Forum,

i checked this Weekend if there was any updates for my issue described here http://orangepi.club/showthread.php?tid=2542 and voila slim 4.2 is testable. So i flashed my sd Card and see if all my issues are fixed. Partially they are Shy . So here is my report and also the reason why i made a new thread.

The Key bindings seem to work on the n64 Emulator if I'm using glide as Emulator. If im using mupenplus64 it's working partially. It seems that my A button got mapped onto the x button. My X Button -> Y  Button, the Y Button -> B Button and my B Button -> A Button. So a clounterclockwise binding issue. I see also the same behavouir when i go into retroarch and start the joypad testapplication. The rest is corectly binded. When i switch to for example the gba Emulator everthing works like a charm. So my Question how can i generate a nice log file for you or what files should i paste here so you can see the issue. Just to remeber this only happens in the Emulators in the emultorstation it works perfect.

An other issue i found is that None of my snes games are working. Regardless if im switching the Emulators. So is there a trick im just not aware of ?

These are my first issue and impressions with the new Version. I also had Kind of lags in the game but i assume thats because of my crappy sd Card.

Thanks for the work and if i can provide more informations please tell me how.

All of you have a nice Weekend
Brottus
about N64, i can check the issue, as generating log files for input bindings is not really feasible.

about snes, press buttons after loading a game, so the runcommand screen appears and you can select, Launch with verbose log , then open from EmulationStation, RetroPie - Runcommand Log, and scroll with page down

lag can happen where there is overheating or in demanding platforms like N64, Mame and Dreamcast
Thanks for the reply. 
After i saw that i am the only one with such problems i thought to give it another try. So i downloaded the image again and flashed it into my sd card and voila snes is working and n64 emulator now have the right controller inputs. Besides in my downloaded image was the lr-glupen64 still available. Maybe a forgotten piece to delete from the development image. Nevertheless i saw some fps drops of the n64 emulator which i believe is because of my crappy sd card. So i flashed the emmc and the roms working much better. Still not perfect so my question is does it helps with the usb 2.0 to use as a rom storage or a online storage over ethernet ? Or does a different file system helps with better load times ? Or is it possible to load roms into the ram an run them from there ? When i watched the used resource it was only one core really used and the rest of the resources kind of idled. 
Thanks for your time and have a happy weekend again.
Brottus
afraid not, N64 emulation is hit and miss, will never be perfect. Storage or RAM makes no big change . V4.2 already pushes performance governor, so i believe it's at the limit, about the core, i cannot confirm if it's due to the emulator, if you find anything interesting, let us know

edit: lr-glupen64 seems to work better with some games, that's why we kept it in the image
Rainbow 
Hi Team,

today i had again some time to play a little around with the slim v4.2 Image and tried out how the performace is if i would load the roms and saves out of the ram. So i made a tmpfs with 512 mb space of my 2 GB on the orange pi plus 2 and i expierenced a performance boost with the n64 emulations. So for example i could battle in Super Smash bros with 60 FPS. The only lags i expierienced were when you chose your character, there you have a slight drop from expected 30 fps to 20-25 fps. So a fine Emulation for the small board. I could also play with some lags Banjo tooie. It only lags if you enter a big map where many sprites are. Before it was unplayable. I also experienced as mentioned before that the bottle neck is the single core and the Multi core Emulator for n64 was not really working for me. I also expierenced that some games work well with mupenplus64 and other with glupen64so this could also effect stuff.

So it would be nice if others could test this out too. You Need first create the ramdisk, then copy the roms to the new created ramdisk and then set the Default path for the es to the new created ramdisk and set the Right permissions. I used following Setup.
Code:
1. mkdir -v /mnt/ramdisk
2. mount -t tmpfs -o size=512m tmpfs /mnt/ramdisk
3. Copy the roms:
cp -v /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64/* /mnt/ramdisk
4.change the default path:
4.1. Save the old config
cp -v /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg
/etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg.orig
4.2 Change the config:
therefore i use nano so there is no nice one liner from me. But you just have to Change the file from above search for n64 and Change the path to /mnt/ramdisk
5.Set the Right owner for the roms
chown -R pi:pi /mnt/ramdisk/*
6. Reload es Station. Don't know the cli command for that. Did this directly of es Station.
I also made some pseudo numbers so you can see the trend in write / write and read Speed diffrences i faced. I also but two links for more infos in it and i believe you could also have these performances with a nice NAS. Maybe this helps and sry if i mistyped something.

https://pastebin.com/sSfR55ZL

Best Regards
Brottus
Excellent , Brottus! I think i can make an easy script soon and add to our repository. I'll let you know progress on my side.
So its me again and i could a little bit play with everything.
This time i fixed my issues with the controller, It seems like that the config scripts works but updates the InputAutocfg.ini not correctly. So i just edited it by my self with the following example if someone else has some issues:
Code:
DPad R = axis(5+)
DPad L = axis(5-)
DPad D = axis(6+)
DPad U = axis(6-)
Start = button(9)
Z Trig = button(6)
B Button = button(2)
A Button = button(1)
C Button R = axis(3+)
C Button L = axis(3-)
C Button D = axis(4+)
C Button U = axis(4-)
R Trig = button(5)
L Trig = button(4)
Mempak switch = key(109)
Rumblepak switch = key(114)
Y Axis = axis(1-,1+)
X Axis = axis(0-,0+)
After i overcome this issue i played a bit if i could get more out of the orange pi. Unfortunately the Retrorangepi Team makes a great job and it seems to be quite well configured nevertheless i let a small list of possible configs where i will try to tweak things.

Code:
/opt/retropie/configs/n64/emulators.cfg -> used for the emulators entrys here i made one addition by copying the entry for rice plugin and add the resolution
parameter but it seems to do nothing
mupen64plus-rice-highres = "/opt/retropie/emulators/mupen64plus/bin/mupen64plus.sh mupen64plus-video-rice %ROM% '--resolution=1440x900'"
/opt/retropie/emulators/mupen64plus/bin/mupen64plus.sh shell script to used by the retropie team to start mupenplus i believe
/opt/retropie/configs/n64/RiceVideoLinux.ini extra tweaks for the rice plugin
/opt/retropie/configs/n64/mupen64plus.cfg -> config file for general settings of the stand alone emulator mupenplus
/opt/retropie/configs/n64/InputAutoCfg.ini -> Has all the inputs

Now that i all had that and my experiences with all that i just made a small script for the ramdisk and put in the autostart,sh, Everything now works fine and here is the small script.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

Fileextensions="z64 n64 v64 zip"

sudo mount -t tmpfs -o size=512m tmpfs /mnt/ramdisk
for i in $Fileextensions; do
       cp -v /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/n64/*.$i /mnt/ramdisk
done
sudo chown -R pi:pi /mnt/ramdisk/*
Just add it to the /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh and gave 755 as file permission and changed ownership to pi:pi. I also but it next to the autostart.sh.

By the way all the saves should still read out of the home folder of the pi user. So playing with the ramdisk doesn't kill your saves after shutting down. But if you feel unconfitable with it just add the save path to the /opt/retropie/configs/n64/retroarch.cfg and /opt/retropie/configs/n64/mupen64plus.cfg

Code:
/opt/retropie/configs/n64/retroarch.cfg

savefile_directory = ""

/opt/retropie/configs/n64/mupen64plus.cfg

SaveSRAMPath = ""

So now i'm happy with the n64 emulations and all the games work well till fine. So i made this as a write up if someone else trys to tweak aswell. I used the following links for finding this stuff out maybe it helps also others. Thanks for all the work of the Retrorangepi team and i now just wait for the full stable release.
Code:
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/1104
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/9448/mupen64plus-glide64-adjust-resolution-to-fill-entire-screen/10
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Nintendo-64
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/241/strategy-for-save-states-and-saves/3
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/3100/4-0-rc1-nintendo-64-high-resolution-and-the-conflict-with-320x240/14
Thanks a LOT! Will include all tweaks we can into next hotfix update.