Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New image - Sep 5th
i try samsung evo plus 32gb/ 16gb come with/ 16gb original 10 class(made in korea)
also try AOMEI, diskpart, windows format, win32, etcher etc.

sometimes diden't work.
1. just black screen
2. a lot of small text
3. 2/3 screen

sometimes work.
1. big text come out (i can't remember detail)
2. retrorangepi install image -> reboot -> retrorangepi loading image

some test, i found problems.
1. after succeed install, i connect ethernet cable -> adding roms -> ethernet is disconnected & some text pop out in retrostone's screen.
2. after succeed install, connect ethernet cable -> restart -> stock.

and reflash sd, sometimes AOMEI work or not, diskpart work or not.. am i too much reformat my sd?
(09-10-2018, 01:18 PM)steebo777 Wrote: I had a lot of issues installing the OS for quite awhile @ewanthejones but after about 15 installs, all is going well. Keep trying the install (or different SD card if you can) and eventually you'll be all good!

Thanks @steebo777 - 15 times though (!) Does the OS boot up every time for you now? I think I've re-formatted and re-installed 8 or 9 times now, but only twice for the 4.2 version. I'll persevere, and try with a different SD card and see where we get. Thanks for the advice all, I appreciate it.
Almost every time it boots fine for me. When it doesn't boot right, it is a few times in a row but then it is fine.
Thanks guys and apologies for all the issues. Being a custom PCB battery-powered, the Retrostone behaves differently from the other boards, so we're still trying to find a pattern whilst tweaking the hardware configuration file. Keep reporting your findings.
Hi @alexkidd

Here's my experience with the Sep 5 build:

- First time after flashing the SD card it has failed to boot (same as it was with the previous version): it looked like it had finished the installation but then gone into sort of infinite loop, endlessly outputting some text into console. And after power off/on it has booted normally.

- All further boots were mostly successful, except 2 times:
1. Once during a boot it started again outputting some text into console, then restarted by itself and then booted normally.
2. It showed a dialog saying "new controller found, please configure", which looked like it failed to load some config files. A restart has fixed this problem.

- A show-stopper issue for me - is that almost every game I try to play (mostly I try NES) crashes back into Emulationstation menu after random amount of seconds, and sometimes even hangs the whole system. This problem I had in all the previous builds as well.

- "Shutdown system" from Emulationstation menu doesn't work for me in this version - looks like it just exits Emulationstation and reveals the console, the screen stays on.

I'm using 32Gb SD card supplied with my Retrostone. With the previous builds I also tried 32Gb Sandisk, but results were always the same for them both.
(09-10-2018, 03:17 PM)marauder Wrote: - A show-stopper issue for me - is that almost every game I try to play (mostly I try NES) crashes back into Emulationstation menu after random amount of seconds, and sometimes even hangs the whole system. This problem I had in all the previous builds as well.

:/ It does not happen with any other supported board. Can you try selecting the other NTSC option (nº 6)  from the Bashtool ? Maybe it's a screen bug with the overscan fix. Try testing HDMI stability as well if you can.

- "Shutdown system" from Emulationstation menu doesn't work for me in this version - looks like it just exits Emulationstation and reveals the console, the screen stays on.

Shutdown works fine for me with this version. Do you have something connected to USB?
Right after posting my previous message I continued testing and it failed to boot 4 times in a row.. It seems to be completely unpredictable :/

The worst thing is that all those different situations, where I have no other choice but to hard reset, add more and more risk of data corruption due to improper shutdown, and at some point there's no way to know - whether boot failures are caused by those corruptions or by permanently existing issues..

However I also tried to flash an SD card with the image that I had created beforehand from my freshly installed system with all my settings and roms (there's nothing wrong in doing like this, right?) and it still failed to boot couple of times after that.

(09-10-2018, 03:27 PM)alexkidd Wrote: :/ It does not happen with any other supported board. Can you try selecting the other NTSC option (nº 6)  from the Bashtool ? Maybe it's a screen bug with the overscan fix. Try testing HDMI stability as well if you can.
Tried both: NTSC without overscan fix and HDMI - didn't help, games are still crashing.

(09-10-2018, 03:27 PM)alexkidd Wrote: Shutdown works fine for me with this version. Do you have something connected to USB?
After re-flashing SD card this issue has disappeared.
please try this: "sudo h3consumption -d 528" . It will reduce dram clockspeed , maybe it will help giving some stability.
I Have tested the current image with a SanDisk 32gb MicroSDHC UHS-1, each attempt from a new flash worked eventually, sometimes it would crash or I get a black screen but after leaving it a few minutes then power off and on again it then sometimes it would crash again, other times it would install or boot emulation station. After that it boots almost every time.

The main error I see when it fails is always "bad page state in process xxx" however the process is almost always different.

The Main SD card I use is the 32gb that came with the system, had the same issues as above (using it with the second slim plus image you posted) and it works pretty consistently so I'm a bit reluctant to re-flash the card.

The only time it continually failed to install was when I was flashing the image with a cheap usb micro sd card reader from ebay.

Quick question about installing, does it create a log file of the install and any errors? If yes can it be taken from the retrorange pi desktop then posted here if you need it.

Thanks
(09-10-2018, 06:17 PM)alexkidd Wrote: please try this: "sudo h3consumption -d 528" . It will reduce dram clockspeed , maybe it will help giving some stability.

You know, this has actually helped!
Tried to play several games after changing this setting, and no more crashes, even with the one where I wasn't even able to pass the character selection before.
No failed boots either after that, so maybe this also solves the boot issue (though it can be just a coincidence).

So what does it mean? My particular device is not able to maintain higher dram clock speed, while some other devices are?

BTW I also noticed that the the edges of the picture are slightly beyond the screen bounds.
Do you have a hint how to fix this?

And another question:
After quitting Emulationstation and doing something in the terminal I usually relaunch it with "exit" command.
Is this a correct way to do it?

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New **Update** Supreme Retrostone image v1.3 Régalad 57 38,979 01-21-2020, 09:10 AM
Last Post: deadl0ck
  Make a image retrostone with my roms bouboulover 1 1,713 09-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Last Post: alexkidd
  New image - 04sep alexkidd 39 15,656 09-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post: ewanthejones