Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New image - Sep 5th
Ok...been playing on 4.2 awhile now. Taking it to work to hit on breaks and in the evenings.
-Boots between 1 in 5 to1 in 10 tries.
-Games crashing occasionally still.
-If battery depletes to second from top light immediate attracting and screen tearing occurs along with crashing.
-occasionally the controls stop functioning. At thisnloint I can't even hit select+start to go back to menu. I'm stuck in game and have to shutdown or reset.

It's better than older versions and I can often get extended plays in now of an hour or so. Eager for 4.3. Just wanted to list my experiences here for your notes in case it helps.
This happens on both the 32gb and 200gb cards I tested with on different nights.
my 2c

I've seen the RS try to PXE boot from the Ethernet (unplugged).
This could be indicative of u-boot not finding a kernel and reverting to PXE, either it can't see a partition table or can't find the kernel [1]

The error "card did not respond to voltage select" seems obvious, but it's intermittent. I'm using the stock 8Bcraft card.
I'll check further over the weekend.

I've also seen the RS get stuck loading the kernel at tty message "Starting kernel ..."
This seems to be the decompression stage, once the kernel is found [2]

[1] https://linux-sunxi.org/How_to_boot_the_...he_network
[2] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3048...t#30491932

[Image: IMG_0137.JPG]
i have seen that in "armbian-release" file the name of the board have been change to "retrostone":

Code:
# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
BOARD=retrostone
BOARD_NAME="RetroStone Pi"
BOARDFAMILY=sun8i
VERSION=5.59
LINUXFAMILY=sun8i
BRANCH=default
ARCH=arm
IMAGE_TYPE=user-built
BOARD_TYPE=conf
INITRD_ARCH=arm
KERNEL_IMAGE_TYPE=zImage

But in h3consumption script who handle the cpu and dram frequency board name can only be nanopineo or nanopiair.
The problem is that the h3consumption take the name of the board in the same /etc/armbian-release file :

Code:
# dram clockspeed in mhz
case ${DramClockspeed} in
"")
: ;;
*)
BOARD=$(awk -F"=" '/^BOARD=/ {print $2}' </etc/armbian-release)
case ${BOARD} in
nanopineo|nanopiair)
HardwareUpperLimit=432
;;
*)
HardwareUpperLimit=624
;;
esac
if [ ${DramClockspeed} -lt ${DRAMLowerLimit} ]; then
# adjust to lowest allowed clockspeed
DramClockspeed=${DRAMLowerLimit}
elif [ ${DramClockspeed} -gt ${HardwareUpperLimit} ]; then
# adjust to highest allowed clockspeed
DramClockspeed=${HardwareUpperLimit}
else
# round dramfreq since not every value is possible: between 132 and 384 mhz
# 12 mhz steps are possible, above 24 mhz steps
if [ ${DramClockspeed} -le 384 ]; then
RoundedValue=$(( ${DramClockspeed} / 12 ))
DramClockspeed=$(( ${RoundedValue} * 12 ))
else
RoundedValue=$(( ${DramClockspeed} / 24 ))
DramClockspeed=$(( ${RoundedValue} * 24 ))
fi
fi
echo "echo ${DramClockspeed}000 >/sys/devices/platform/sunxi-ddrfreq/devfreq/sunxi-ddrfreq/userspace/set_freq" \
>>"${RCLocalContents}"
sed -i "s/dram_clk\ =\ \(.*\)/dram_clk = ${DramClockspeed}/" "${FexSettings}"
;;
esac

maybe your booting text issue ?
Looks like it's a resistor issue that could be causing "card did not respond to voltage select"

http://forum.8bcraft.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1843
Unreliable booting seems to be a hardware issue. I've performed the above resistor bridging mod and booting is significantly more reliable.
(10-13-2018, 02:31 PM)bedfellow Wrote: Unreliable booting seems to be a hardware issue. I've performed the above resistor bridging mod and booting is significantly more reliable.

A bit sad - like the headphones volume issue - esp. for noobs like me ; I don't have a solder and I don't feel confidant enough to fiddle with the Restrostone board. Sad
(10-14-2018, 02:14 PM)Juju69 Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 02:31 PM)bedfellow Wrote: Unreliable booting seems to be a hardware issue. I've performed the above resistor bridging mod and booting is significantly more reliable.

A bit sad - like the headphones volume issue - esp. for noobs like me ; I don't have a solder and I don't feel confidant enough to fiddle with the Restrostone board. Sad

I have the equipment and skills for this type of work but even for me, creating a bridge using solder was quite difficult.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  **Update** New SupremeRetrostone image v1.1 Régalad 34 2,298 10-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Last Post: LL_Bill_G
  Make a image retrostone with my roms bouboulover 1 131 09-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Last Post: alexkidd
  New image - 04sep alexkidd 39 1,488 09-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post: ewanthejones