Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SDL configuration?
I have an app that uses SDL (libsdl). It doesn't work out of the box because it's compiled to look for an SDL_VIDEODRIVER of "rpi" by default. On another distro, I can resolve this by setting the SDL_VIDEODRIVER environment variable to "x11". With the version of SDL included with RetrOrangePi v4.2 (tested with v1 and v3), it doesn't recognize "x11" either, even when running from the Desktop (not via EmulationStaton, yet).

When I try to compile SDL from source, its configuration sequence says the available video drivers are "dummy", "opengl_es1", "opengl_es2", and "vulkan". The app I'm running doesn't recognize any of these values for the SDL_VIDEODRIVER environment variable. I installed this version of SDL with its sudo make install into /usr/local/lib, which I assume overrides the included version.

Any ideas on things to try? I assume many of the other things known to work with this distro use SDL in some capacity, yes? Unfortunately the app in question is closed source so I can't recompile it with dev libs, but I am using a dynamically linked binary so I can usually replace its deps in this way.
core components EmulationStation and Retroarch use SDL2 with framebuffer backend (which conflicts with X11). It's the one stored in /usr/local/lib

Stock SDL2 with X11 support is in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf, there is a couple of applications that rely on it i think. If you add an environment variable, it's likely to run:

Inside desktop terminal, run:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf ./myapp

if it still fails, post the full output.
Thanks for this! Apologies for the late reply, I did manage to try this and it worked fine. Now I just need to find an SDL_AUDIODRIVER setting that works. Several settings (e.g. alsa) allow the app to start (no SDL error) but none that I've tried actually play sound. Sound works fine in other apps.
HDMI is the second audio card, named hw:1,0 OR sndhdmi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Second joystick configuration cyborg 3 432 05-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Last Post: cyborg
  Different controllers configuration djalmafreestyler 0 712 09-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Last Post: djalmafreestyler