Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I replaced the LCD
I've been working on modifying the RetroStone screen. I replaced it with a 3.5in IPS LCD with an HDMI input. Here is a link to a short video (work in progress):

Wow that's an impressive job you've done!

How complicated is it to do? How much of soldering skills does it require?
is it my impression that HDMI seems slower ?
(10-08-2018, 12:12 PM)alexkidd Wrote: is it my impression that HDMI seems slower ?

When you have the stock unit and the mod side-by-side you can see a difference in speed. I did not notice any slowdown in gameplay (yet?).

I think this may be because the screen is being sent a 720p source. the Screen has a native resolution of 320x480, ideally I would like to send it the native resolution so the Retrostone only needs to render a 320x480 frame and the display will not need to down-convert in real-time. I think if this can be done it would speed things up a bit and help with heat load. 

BUT... I am not sure how to go about changing the HDMI output to 320x480, when I change to 480P it doesn't work. I have the same display on a RaspberryPi and I can send it a 320x480 source via HDMI. Not sure how to get the OP to output this via HDMI.

(10-08-2018, 11:18 AM)marauder Wrote: Wow that's an impressive job you've done!

How complicated is it to do? How much of soldering skills does it require?

Thanks Marauder,

It is not a beginner mod. I had to desolder some of the USB ports and the RJ45. I may need to desolder the HDMI connector on the PCB and solder directly to the HDMI PCB pads to get the cable inside the unit.

The camera does not do the new screen justice, it looks even better in real life. 

I will post more when I can.
Wow!Good job!Can you post here the instruction of this mod?I think too about screen changing.There i can buy this screen?
(10-16-2018, 01:43 PM)Dr.Creos Wrote: Wow!Good job!Can you post here the instruction of this mod?I think too about screen changing.There i can buy this screen?

Thanks,

The mod is a work in progress. If I get it working well I will post some more information. Currently there are heat problems.