Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portable HDMI display is not working (hi-res)
Hi all!

I have bought a portable HDMI display hoping it will work together with an Orange pi in one of my custom project I have planned.

The display is this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-5inch-...42714.html

As you can see it is originally a MIPI display, but I have bought the converter board that makes it HDMI so I had high hopes. Long story short: it is not working.

I have tested the display on a PC and it work without an issue. It first blinks some led (maybe some handshaking) and the display shows up afterwars. When I plug in the same board into my Orange Pi PC plus, all I get is the led blinking like it would never finish some handshaking.

I am using the legacy kernel because I need GPU acceleration for the project.

I am trying for a longer time as of now, but nothing seems to work so far. The operating system is armbian and I also asked on their forum with no answer yet.

I know that the resolution is pretty high, but I only need the hardware resolution to be high so if the software works for it on a lower resolution that is fine for me too...

Tomorrow I might have a chance to test the same display on a Raspberry pi too (just to have more insight with more devices being tested as I only tested it with PC so far). I would prefer the orange pi however for the project...

Thank you for any ideas in advance
Prenex

PS.: Some information hinted that I might add custom resolutions with building my own kernel. I use the orange pi in question daily so I skipped this possible solution so far as I have no experience and I feel I would backup my pi and take a long turn for nothing...
Unfortunately we cannot help much on hardware we dont have. Legacy kernel has poor hardware support especially with LCD screens. You may have better luck with Raspberry since its already on mainline kernel.

On topic, since it's a MIPI/HDMI screen, you could try to run armbian's h3disp with the "-d" parameter, for operation with DVI adapters, maybe it's behaving strangely because it cant detect your screen as a real HDMI. Also, our image is set to 720p by default, so you may want to try different resolutions from SSH (it wont be easy).

I've bought this one using donation money and it works out of the box: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MPI3508-...68415.html

Last but not least, we're working on the next update to move to mainline kernel, we should have something soon.
(01-28-2019, 07:32 PM)alexkidd Wrote: Unfortunately we cannot help much on hardware we dont have. Legacy kernel has poor hardware support especially with LCD screens. You may have better luck with Raspberry since its already on mainline kernel.

On topic, since it's a MIPI/HDMI screen, you could try to run armbian's h3disp with the "-d" parameter, for operation with DVI adapters, maybe it's behaving strangely because it cant detect your screen as a real HDMI. Also, our image is set to 720p by default, so you may want to try different resolutions from SSH (it wont be easy).

I've bought this one using donation money and it works out of the box: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MPI3508-...68415.html

Last but not least, we're working on the next update to move to mainline kernel, we should have something soon.

Hi!

I was trying various h3disp parameters (also with -h added). Without any parameter it just says unknown mode and choose from list. I have tried various ones that seemed logical.

I remember some modes that worked from windows, including some 1080p modes for 16:9 and other ones, but nothing seemed to work.

Also I have found that it must be a software issue as I can read the boot sequence on the screen if I plug it in before booting... It only shows for a very small amount of time and the image goes off with the led blinking.

It is likely that this is the HDMI->MIPI converter board:

I feel when things get upgraded to the mainline kernel this will just magically work. Maybe there is an other way too by doing some changes either in the kernel or some files or tricks on the bin files like this h3disp program tries...

Even if I develop the thing I need this display for, using an RPi later, I barely will use any kind of device dependent things in my own code anyways so the source should be portable any moment this start working. Opi is still awsome! I run various servers on it in the same time as using it as a media box and retro station no bottleneck so far, nothing :-)

Btw is GPU maybe already accelerated in the mainline? I would keep the legacy for mp4 playback, but for the hdmi display project the mp4 playback is not really needed as much as the GLES acceleration.

Keep up the good work! Awsome project and hardware too ;-)
I have tried the very same display on a Rpi3B too lately and without any changes it is not working neither with that. I am currently hunting the so called "config" files from the producer of the screen...

Just wanted to write this finding too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2g-iot Display connection question PiGuy11 0 1,171 12-27-2017, 02:35 AM
Last Post: PiGuy11