Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuck on Retrorangepi Loading screen
Hello,

For reference, I'm using the Supreme Retrostone v1.3 OS and after setting it up, it was working great.  Instead of leaving well enough alone, I decided to mess with some of the settings and now the system is broke. I'm hoping that I won't have to reflash the SD card with the operating system and lose my save files and save states. 

What I did specifically was I was looking at the SNES game list and went to settings and found a game view list setting section.  Options included Basic, Box, and Video. (These could be wrong since I'm writing this off of memory since my system won't boot)  I selected the Video option which caused the system to crash.  Attempts to soft and hard reset result in the same thing, being stuck on the Retrorangepi loading screen.  I should have figured that this setting would have required adding video files or something like that beforehand, which I didn't do, sadly. I'm used to technology that prevents noobs like me from breaking it.

I'm hoping there is something that can be done to fix this. If not I would settle for just the ability to recover my save files.
look@

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/es_settings.cfg

here can you change manually the settings, to fix the problem.
The EmulationStation Version in Retrorangepi 4.2 is old, in the new es dev-version you have many bugfixes and improvements.
(03-28-2019, 09:05 AM)Liontek1985 Wrote: look@

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/es_settings.cfg

here can you change manually the settings, to fix the problem.
The EmulationStation Version in Retrorangepi 4.2 is old, in the new es dev-version you have many bugfixes and improvements.

The problem is I cannot even get to the desktop mode in order to manually fix the settings as you describe above, unless I completely misunderstood your suggestion.

I'm really not optimistic that anything can be done to be honest. One thing I tried was to open the SD card from Windows 10 computer. It said I had to format the SD card in order to open/read it, naturally, so I wasn't able to do anything.  I wasn't sure if there were some software that would allow me to access the contents of the SD card without formatting it.
another thing you can do: plug a keyboard whilst in RetrOrangePi loading screen and press Ctrl Alt F1, F2 (to alternate terminal modes), maybe you can find some error log and post here.

edit: the Supreme version wasnt made by the RetrOrangePi devs, so we dont know if there are major differences (most likely not)
(03-28-2019, 11:43 PM)alexkidd Wrote: another thing you can do: plug a keyboard whilst in RetrOrangePi loading screen and press Ctrl Alt F1, F2 (to alternate terminal modes), maybe you can find some error log and post here.

edit: the Supreme version wasnt made by the RetrOrangePi devs, so we dont know if there are major differences (most likely not)

Thanks for that suggestion.  I wasn't aware of that option.  Sadly nothing happened when I tried it.  I think it is time for me to just call it.  Losing my save files isn't the end of the world. This has been a learning experience, always do a little research before you start messing around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RetroStone: Kodi Black Screen with Sound in Video luckithroe 5 130 04-09-2019, 12:09 AM
Last Post: alexkidd
  USB Wifi + Screen protector question ahnfire 3 1,091 11-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Last Post: qu1que
  reicast issue / Dreamcast emulation (date screen) Daniel 10 5,620 10-29-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Liontek1985
  How to run Scummvm games on retrorangepi for retrostone??? ramonpks 12 2,018 10-24-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post: ramonpks
  Better Screen ? starboarder 10 2,041 10-08-2018, 08:40 PM
  Splash screen KimDEa 4 1,134 09-29-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: KimDEa
  retrorangepi for retrostone repo? retrojack 3 995 09-28-2018, 05:11 PM
  Retrostone stuck in a loop during booting liebgott 6 1,761 09-05-2018, 07:02 PM
  Device not starting, buggy screen aleqqqs 10 2,018 09-05-2018, 06:58 PM
  retrostone install stuck and will not progress naughtron 2 874 08-30-2018, 02:22 AM
Last Post: naughtron